Thursday, 9 October 2014

Blood Moon and Blessed JHN


What connects them, other than this being the day after the lunar eclipse and the feast-day of Blessed John Henry Newman?

Perhaps simply my wonder at the fact that the Love and Reason (hallmarks of the power of God, as Pope Benedict loved to remind us) which align the stars and planets could also be the 'kindly light' which led this one man's heart to the place where he found peace, 'like coming into port after a rough sea.'

Newman, theologian and philosopher, made this remarkable statement: 'From the time that I became a Catholic, of course I have no further history of my religious opinions to narrate. In saying this, I do not mean to say that my mind has been idle, or that I have given up thinking on theological subjects; but that I have had no variations to record, and have had no anxiety of heart whatever.'

From someone of a lesser mind than Newman's this would sound facile, like laziness or infantilism. And I include myself in that! So dare I say that for me, the goal presented by Newman's statement means above all no longer having to argue,  to seek to prove or defend what I believe in an antagonistic, point-scoring way. It's a challenge to resist being drawn into competitive debates that ultimately get no one anywhere. It's an invitation to see evangelisation differently - and still to be fervent about doing it.

Blessed John Henry, pray for us.


O God, who bestowed on the Priest Blessed John Henry Newman the grace to follow your kindly light and find peace in your Church; graciously grant that, through his intercession and example, we may be led out of shadows and images into the fullness of your truth.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.