Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Tomorrow...


I love the beautiful (and, to some, surprising) reversal in the icon from which this detail comes, of the Dormition ("Falling Asleep") of the Mother of God. The risen Jesus receives and cradles his Mother, swaddled like a baby, as her life on this earth ends. She who carried him in her womb and her arms is now carried so tenderly by him. Tomorrow's feast, the Dormition or Assumption has been called "Mary's birthday into heaven."  As it happens, it's also the anniversary of my baptism - when, as a similar tiny baby, I was received into the Body of Christ. So by his grace I can dare to call it my " birthday into heaven" too. 

Not much time to write now, and no time tomorrow. I'm off to Buckfast Abbey in the morning, for a summer school run by the Maryvale Institute on Art, Beauty and Inspiration. So I'll leave you with one of the best things I read last year, by Archdruid Eileen. And some beautiful images of Mary collected on the art blog I've mentioned before - It's About Time.  Enjoy, and a Happy Feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.