Monday, 1 July 2013

So loved

Home
Proof, if it were needed, that time-wasting being "idle and blessed" is good for the soul. I was playing, as one does, with Google Maps (other online maps are, probably, available). I confess it started when I realised, while watching the news, that I didn't know exactly where Kazakhstan is. Zooming further and further out I saw this beautiful blue globe against a backdrop of stars, still with that pulsating blue pin to show where I'm sitting on the sofa. Kazakhstan isn't that far away after all. It stopped me in my tracks with a gasp of wonder. God so loved the world...

And here's David Fleming's paraphrase of Ignatius' first contemplation of the Second Week of the Exercises:

I try to enter into the vision of God – the mystery of divinity shared by three Divine Persons – looking upon our world: men and women being born and being laid to rest, some getting married and others getting divorced, the old and the young, the rich and the poor, the happy and the sad, so many people aimless, despairing, hateful, and killing, so many undernourished, sick and dying, so many struggling with life and blind to any meaning.  With God, I can hear people laughing and crying, some shouting and screaming, some praying, others cursing.

The leap of divine joy; God knows the time has come when the mystery of salvation, hidden from the beginning of the world, will shine into human darkness and confusion.  It is as if I can hear the Divine Persons saying, ‘Let us work the redemption of the whole human race; let us respond to the groaning of all creation.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.