Saturday, 8 June 2013

Kissing the ground

A moth on the wall at the station. Simply being.
Synchronicity... This morning as I lay in bed thinking about getting up (it's Saturday, and yesterday was a lo-o-ong day) I remembered someone I know saying that every morning of his life, when he gets out of bed, his first act is to genuflect - to greet the Earth and to celebrate the Incarnation. I don't do that - not physically anyway (I'm a bit too creaky in the mornings) - but I often think of it. Back on Palm Sunday I wrote here about humility. The very word means keeping your feet on the ground, remaining in connection with the Earth. Lovingly.

I was also thinking about beauty: easy to do on a bright summer morning, sunshine pouring through the bedroom window, the garden lush and green, swifts whirling above, beautiful music on the radio. Pope Benedict wrote that for faith to grow, in ourselves and those we accompany, we must be introduced to the saints, and to beauty. Something for spiritual directors to ponder... It's also the way, I think, for humility to grow. I pray that my eyes will be open today to the goodness of saintly hearts and to beauty in unexpected places, while my feet stay firmly planted on God's good Earth.

And then, at breakfast, I read this (h/t to the Poetry Chaikhana blog):

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
~ Rumi


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.