Saturday, 23 March 2013

Thief of time or giver of gifts?


I was playing with my new phone, and accidentally took a photo of my desk... Then I played with my new (free) iPastels app. And a memory surfaced...

Almost exactly a year ago, liturgically speaking - last Holy Week - I went to a lunchtime performance of Haydn's Seven Last Words from the Cross at the London Centre for Spirituality. Being the sort of place it is, the sounds of the city outside blended with the sublime, sorrowful music: traffic, road drills, police sirens.  They added something important and powerful.  As I sat and listened I gazed up at the sunlight streaming through the stained glass windows (yes, we had sunshine last Passiontide. Amazing thought, isn't it?) and for the first time, among the coloured images, I noticed words. What thou seest, write (from Revelation1.11). They connected with a passion deep within me: to see, and then to share. I'm still working out how to embody this passion. I suppose that's why I'm writing this blog. And I want to find other ways, too (they say we all have a book inside us. What do you think?) 

Of course, all this was what they call "displacement activity". I had work to do - plenty of it. But I was heartened to read somewhere recently that procrastination can be creative. It's in those moments of displacement and daydreaming - play - that ideas can be born: wacky, passionate, out-of-the-box ideas. I'm grateful for the rekindling of a memory and a dream.

2 comments:

  1. I join you in procrastination. So often I feel guilty for not pursuing writing a post, and am groaning under the process of writing a book, but all the while the wheels in my mind are turning on the subject. Throughout all this time God is presenting things for my consideration and then suddenly the energy to begin comes with a start. It is one thing to neglect duty, and another to ponder well before beginning something that is not strictly a duty. Cheers to you and peace with the creative process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement an inspiration, Barb! Always good to see you here. I learned a new word today - Dreamstorming! Like brainstorming but the process happens by itself (or, I'd want to say, while God gets a chance to be more in control of my creativity) during sleep and dreams. I think it happens during daydreaming too!

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.