Wednesday, 6 March 2013

...and God saw that it was good



When I played in the garden as a small child I used to imagine there were tiny creatures living in the moss on the stone wall. Today I saw this amazing picture of a real live one - on the NASA picture of the day site, of all places. It's called a Tardigrade (and as someone who's always last off the train I warm to that name), a  Waterbear or a Moss Piglet. My world has been made bigger by this minuscule fellow-creature.  And apparently it wouldn't have needed the Ark to survive!

2 comments:

  1. This is, without a doubt, the weirdest looking critter I've ever seen. Somehow I wish I'd never learned about it inhabiting moss and lichen covered areas. I'll never be able to sit on a mossy stone again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, Barb! Well, I'm pretty squeamish about creepy-crawlies - especially anything that has eight legs! But these little guys are only 1mm long at most, and I would like to see one. When I googled Tardigrades I found sites which described them as "adorable", and someone has even made knitted soft toys of them...

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.