Sunday, 3 February 2013

Sunday Snippets - a sensory Examen


...of a walk with Canis Minor. Ignatius recommends and Examen of the senses as a way of finding God in all things.

Sight: oh, so much. Bright low sunlight that made me shade my eyes. Green spikes and furls pushing through the earth. The bright green of lichen on trees trunks. The breast of a robin caught in the Sun's rays - an unbelievable brightness. (The picture above is a robin at Titchwell nature reserve in Norfolk, a few winters ago).
Hearing: birdsong: robins, great tits, a wren... Ringed-necked parakeets - raucous interlopers, but they still make me smile. Children playing football on the playing fields in the distance.
Smell: cold air, the river, damp earth, fresh leaves.
Taste: memories of breakfast: hot, strong coffee and ginger marmalade.
Touch: mud sucking at my boots. Bark of trees.  Cold fingers.
"This is what I love when I love my God" (St Augustine)

So, in the past week I've had some thoughts about spiritual direction, to be continued this week, I hope. A reflection on the turning of the year; and a few thoughts about a controversially (to some) named flavour of crisps. Welcome!

Linked with Sunday Snippets - A Catholic Carnival, hosted by the indefatigable RAnn.s

2 comments:

  1. I think in the past I have underestimated the place of the senses. This and a conversation with my teenager tonight reminded me how important this is for appreciating the world around us and the reality of the Incarnation. It reminds me of something written by Edward Echlin about Jesus sitting under an olive tree, listening to the birds sing, part of the creation he made. An Examen of the sesnes is something I need to do more of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the image of Jesus under the olive tree - thank you for that!

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.