Friday, 8 February 2013

Martian Moon


Mars has two moons - Phobos and Deimos, whose names mean Fear and Terror. This is Deimos. I once tried to describe the difference thus: Phobos is what you feel when there's a tiger in the room. Deimos is when the lights have fused, you realise you didn't lock the door, you'd swear you can smell tomcat writ large, and hear the sound of growling and snuffling and heavy footfalls, and you really didn't lock the door...

Deimos... Terror, dread, anxiety, panic. Are you ever struck by the beams of that particular moon?  I am... Often at night, when the "what ifs" are particularly clamorous. Or perhaps there aren't any thoughts, just the sweaty palms, racing heart, shallow breathing. Now, I don't know enough about astronomy to know if the Martian moons have phases like ours, but in my imagination they do; at such times Deimos is definitely waxing gibbous, or even full, and that blank, expressionless lump of rock fills my whole vision. Ugh.

And then I read that Deimos is actually so small and at such a distance from Mars that it would look simply like another star in the  Martian sky - no bigger than that. When Deimos seems to fill my inner sky I am seeing things out of proportion.  That's exactly what anxiety (a relative of the Black Dog - thanks yet again Greenpatches: we must stop linking like this. Or, actually, let's not!) does. Good old Ignatius - as always he knows what's going on. The "enemy of our human nature" afflicts with sadness and anxiety: that is, he/she/it snares us and drags us out of the present into sadness about the past or anxiety about an imagined future (what's known as "sensible desolation", caused by brain chemistry, hormones or whatever, gets twisted into spiritual desolation where we come to doubt God's presence and love) thus depriving us of the Sacrament of the Present Moment where we encounter the Love that moves the stars - including lumps of rock revolving round Mars. God is good and all shall be well - that refrain again. I can't stop the full moon of Deimos filling my sky from time to time, but I can know that it's not the whole truth.

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, those what-ifs, maybes and might have beens (thank you Jethro Tull and TAAB2!) - sounds all to familar. Wise advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I must say I don't feel very wise when I'm in the grip of it, but there... Just hanging on to the knowledge that I'm not seeing straight helps a bit!

      Delete
  2. Best of all, Deimos doesn't last forever. I used to be a lot more anxious about many things until I realized that I really have to let go and let God manage my life because I'm just fooling myself if I think I'm in control. Still, periodically I find myself in the grip of unreasonable fear and have to renew my trust in God. The brain chemistry issues are a real cross, but if it's any encouragement, somehow things have improved with age and persistence in the spiritual life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Barb, and thank you for your encouragement! God bless.

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.