Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Take and receive

Ignatius' Suscipe prayer - a bridge between the Spiritual Exercises and the rest of one's life. And, for me, the best prayer as one year ends and another begins:
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty: my memory, my understanding and my entire will. All that I have and call my own. You have given it all to me; to you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours, do with it according to your will. Give me only the love of you, and your grace: that is enough for me.




I found this picture by chance on the Wells Cathedral website. It seemed appropriate... (I think I've seen it before but no artist's name was given so I do apologise for not crediting it.)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this. Yes, it does seem the best prayer for this time of year. For reasons best known to myself the Suscipe puts me in mind of the old Michael Card track "Recapture Me," (see my blog) and the Well's Cathedral picture of one I took from the interior of the St Beuno's Rock Chapel looking outwards over the valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does look like the view from the Rock Chapel - I suspect that's why the picture caught my eye. I've some grace-ful memories of looking out at that view...

      Delete
  2. It is good to re-read this on this the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God;she who is our model in spiritual freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose Mary's response and relationship with her Son are a lived, incarnate Suscipe.

      Delete
  3. Thank you both! Hope your New Year's begun well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that was Ignatius. I remember that folk group song "Take, Lord, Receive," which has always been one of my favorites, and I knew it was based on a prayer, but I didn't know it was Ignatius. Maybe this is my inspiration to do the Spiritual Exercises as my next spiritual reading/reflection project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Kathleen. I'm so glad you feel inspired to pursue Ignatius further and are considering making the Spiritual Exercises: life-giving and life-changing! Be sure to find a good and experienced guide... Every blessing, and I hope you'll come back again.

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.