Wednesday, 9 January 2013

An angel, a dream and a star

The dream of the Magi, from Autun. Thanks, as so often, to iBenedictines
I love the way that the King woken by the angel has opened his eyes. Epiphanies are all around us, but so often we need a divine touch to see.  My prayer this Epiphany season is to be able to say with e e cummings "now the ears of my ears awake and now the eyes of my eyes are opened". Only the touch of God's messenger can do that for me - and, of course, the messenger may not be what I expect.

Here's an Epiphany poem I'd like to share with you, by Ann Lewin: 

SUITABLE PRESENTS

If it’s the thought that counts,
What were they thinking of,
To give him these, gold
Frankincense and myrrh?
Extraordinary gifts to give a child.

When Mary pondered, later, on these things,
I wonder if she thought that
These are given to all –
Gold: our potential, gifts that make us
Royal, each in our own domain;
Incense: our aspirations, prayers
And dreams, calling us on;
Myrrh: soothing healing for our pain.
Not gifts for children,
But, like, him, we’ll grow.







2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's my experience too that God's messengers so often come to me in unexpected ways and guises!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.