Sunday, 6 January 2013

A January Day

...that just happens to be Epiphany. Delighted to join in with A Simple Woman's Daybook - an invitation to share a glimpse of a day in your life.




I've enjoyed reading other people's entries in past months, but this is the first time I've taken part myself... So, here goes:
Outside my window...
A veil of grey cloud. The Sun already beginning to sink. Stillness. Neighbours talking; children laughing. A robin singing. Shoots of new life in the garden. Cold. Mud.
I am thinking...
Of everything in the diary in the coming days and weeks: great stuff, but I'm thinking too of how much I need time simply to be.
I am thankful...
For a quiet Sunday afternoon. Choral Evensong on the radio.
In the kitchen...
A chicken ready to go in the oven, flavoured with lemon, rosemary and bay. A big pan of freshly-made roast tomato and rosemary soup, with stellette pasta for the Epiphany. A basil and patchouli candle. A fridge magnet that says "We can't both look good - it's either me or the house".
I am wearing...
A cosy knitted tunic - indigo, with vaguely Scandinavian embroidery. Ancient and well-loved jeans. Stripy socks bought at the seaside.
I am creating...
A workshop for spiritual directors nearing the end of their training, on how to make good use of supervision. I want to make use of imagination, colours, imagery, etc. I met this group last year and look forward to seeing how they've grown.
I am going...
Nowhere today. Bliss.
I am wondering...
Where the Star of Epiphany will lead me this year.
I am reading...
How Rude: Modern Manners Defined introduced by Lynne Truss (a Christmas present). Very funny and bitingly accurate.
I am hoping...
That the new term will go well. That I will discover new gifts in myself and others.
I am looking forward to...
Seeing the Pre-Raphaelites at Tate Britain.
I am learning...
That the days are lengthening.
Around the house...
Amiable clutter - all with memories attached. New calendars. Clocks ticking. My case from our week away, waiting to be unpacked.
I am pondering...
The journey of the Magi. God revealed in the humility of a child. A new year unfolding...
A favourite quote for today...
Beauty is like "small tears in the surface of the world that pull us through to a vaster space". (Simone Weil)
One of my favorite things...
Walking through puddles in my wellies.
A few plans for the rest of the week:
Plough Monday tomorrow - I wrote about it here last year. Back to work! And a trip to the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at the Tate! And enough time to rest in there somewhere...
A peek into my day...
Inside...







And out...









10 comments:

  1. Loved the peek into your day. Your dog is adorable...the daffodil is something I look forward to seeing here in the not too far future.

    Judy in MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Judy! The first daffodil of the year always lifts my heart. Spring can't be far away! And the dog thanks you for the compliment - he is adorable... Most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your first SWD post! So sweet and loved the peek... your sweet puppy! The little daffodil is beautiful!


    Have a blessed 2013!

    Tänia of Simply God's Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tänia! My dog is flattered to be called a puppy - he was twelve years old on Christmas Day! But he still has plenty of puppy moments. I'm glad you found your way here.

      Delete
  4. Daffodils!! I can't wait until mine start flowering. Winter feels like Grey Overload.
    Just stopping in from the Simple Woman's Daybook...I love discovering new blogs this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachel! Thank you for stopping by. I was so pleased that the first daffodil flowered in time for my post. I'm still waiting for the snowdrops! I love all the signs of new life at this time of year. Worth waiting for...

      Delete
  5. I like the description of outside. It sounds lovely :) Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I love your idea of a winter tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Theresa - welcome. Hope to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the simple womans daybook brought me here. Love what the kitchen magnet says on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Not sure that either I or the house always manage it though! :-)

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.