Saturday, 11 August 2012

Good

Yesterday I heard a quotation that caught my heart so strongly I decided I would simply post the words on their own today, without comment. But then as I was preparing for bed last night I heard news of the murder of a young schoolgirl, not hugely far from where I live, and that someone who should have been in a position of trust had been arrested for the crime. I can't begin to imagine the grief of her family (and those words seem such a clumsy cliche even as I write).

And that quotation? Last week in Castel Gandolfo Pope Benedict and his brother Georg were entertained by a group of musicians and dancers from their native Bavaria. Afterwards, the Holy Father said he wondered if some would think it wrong to pursue such simple joys when there was so much suffering in the world; he felt that to turn away from joy would serve only to increase the world's darkness. And then he said:

We know this definitely and concretely: yes, God is good and it is good to be human.

I've written this in large letters. I don't want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.