Saturday, 17 December 2011

O Sapientia

My first post on my new blog... Welcome, if you've found your way here! These sacred last days of Advent feel like a good time to start. It seems a very 'thin' time, when heaven and earth are close, and I am lucky enough to find myself at the beginning of a quieter week before Christmas. I had my last commute into the City yesterday, for my last supervision group of the year, and coffee and lunch with two good 'soul friends' - a chance for some rich conversations. And my first sight of snow this winter! Today brings us the first of the ancient Advent 'O' antiphons:

O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High, reaching from one end to the other, mightily and sweetly ordering all things: Come and teach us the way of prudence.

(O Sapientia, quae ex ore Altissimi prodiisti, attingens a fine usage ad finem, fortiter suaviterque disponens omnia: veni ad docendum nos viam prudentiae. You'll find out that I like Latin...)

The whole of creation 'sweetly ordered' by Divine Wisdom. My butterfly mind takes me to the sweet feast prepared by Wisdom in Proverbs 91-6 (just before this we read that God’s Wisdom is ‘at play everywhere in his world, delighting to be with the sons of men'). In the Jerusalem Bible this passage has the lovely heading ‘Wisdom as Hostess’. I remember too the phrase my spiritual director gave me to hold on to when life feels hard: at the heart of the universe is consolation.

Savour God's sweet Wisdom. And thanks for stopping by. (Isn't that what bloggers say? Remember, I'm new to this!)

Blessings.

3 comments:

  1. From an Australian summer day after driving country roads, a bright blue sky, the last of the grain gathering as the wheel of the year turns to the summer solstice greetings Antonia. I love the image of the playing of Holy Wisdom and the essential part that 'useless' play brings to enrich our lives. As the river lies across the landscape as the mighty Rainbow Serpent of the dreaming times at times running between cliffs of great geological age may we be people who wind our way in life which paradoxically is more like the Gospel straight path than the efficiency of calculated utilitarianism. Fr Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordinarily don't drop a link to an old post at another blogger's old post. But in your case, your blogname has resonated with me for years, and was behind much of the thinking expressed here:

    http://platytera.blogspot.com/2009/05/pneuma-einstein.html

    No obligation, and of course your mileage may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you came and commented. You're welcome! The name resonated with me too - for a long time before the blog was born. I didn't have to stop and think what to call it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.